1.27.2009

on 5.10.06 i posted a list of my language bottom ten: the ten languages I have no interest in learning, for whatever reason. In the post, i talked about the languages I was currently interested in and that I was (proudly) able to hold tiny (very negligibly) meaningful conversations in a smattering of different languages (might I add now that I cannot recall most of what it was i was using then). The list is as follows:
  1. Laotian
  2. Yiddish
  3. Cambodian
  4. Thai
  5. Esperanto
  6. Turkish
  7. Anything Creole/Pidgin
  8. Welsh
  9. Basque
  10. Myanmar (Burmese)
Of those, five are languages I now feel are awesomely cool, and would really like to be able to speak more of at least that many (I have since started learning some Thai, and studied Turkish for a little while and can remember none of it at present). Yiddish, Esperanto and Creoles/Pidgins (aside from cool linguistic studies-ness) do not interest me still.
It's just funny to look back and see how our opinions of things change. At the time, I had no interest in learning Chinese (or any Asian language) and now I'm moving there....
Funny ol' world, isn't it?

2 comments:

-the kids said...

Aww, Laotian isn't THAT bad! : D

Alan said...

I've actually grown to enjoy it. It's one of the ones I've COMPLETELY changed my opinion of. I've actually started studying Thai, and by extension, Lao. I hear Thai is more complex and a little more difficult, but once someone is comfortable with Thai, Lao is a shoe-in. I love Thai. การแสดงความยินดี!!