5.02.2010

Missed a day!!!

Oops. The Hebrew Experiment got started and I neglected my Thai. So...... I'm loving Thai more and more now, cuz Hebrew is stinkin' HARD...
1. โต๊ะ - Table. This is marked as a loan word from Chinese, actually, and I can see how it might be so. The Chinese is 桌子, and Thai doesn't so much have that initial sound, so I can see how it'd become ต instead of kind of a hard 'zh', something like the J in John, but harder.
2. นักเรียน - student. This is cool: นัก is a particle that makes a thing a noun, that noun being "the person who does...." whatever, similar to the suffix -er, like with teach-er. รียน means to study or learn. Therefore, นักเรียน is a person who studies, a student. These little bits of knowledge are helpful, since that prefix can be used with other verbs, and that verb is useful on its own.
(tomorrow's post to come shortly)

No comments: